[reportlab-users] Canvas/Drawing Question

Andy Robinson reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 14:43:14 -0000

> Hi all,
>
> Is there a way to draw a Canvas-Object on a Drawing-Object, so one could
> "renderPM"
> the resulting Drawing into a (e.g.) JPG ?

No.  That's one of my plans for 'ReportLab 2'.
Don't even think of asking when that happens ;-)

The problem was that we designed the Canvas
API to reflect what PDF did, not what the
Gnome canvas library did. Perfect equivalence
will either be quite a bit of work or impossible.
Paragraphs in particular are quite closely tied
to PDF rather than an abstract layout layer.
However, a compatibility layer which aims to
handle most common things at the pdfgen layer
should be possible.

Best Regards,

Andy Robinson