[reportlab-users] Sharing+violation

Andy Robinson reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Sat, 8 Feb 2003 23:29:24 -0000

> On Fri, 2003-02-07 at 04:38, Darryl Whiteside wrote:
> > Can anyone help me by explaining why I get the following error when
> > creating a pdf document. "cannot open document ......" due to a
> > sharing violation. Once I get this error, no other pdf document can be
> > created unless the machine is rebooted.
> >

> When testing on Windoze, I found it most useful to use IE and the
> acrobat plugin to open the PDFs.  This way, IE doesn't lock the file.
> You can then run your program again, generate a new file and just hit F5
> or reload to see the results.

Yes, but I don't think that's a 'sharing violation'.
The one I bet RL users always get is "permission denied"
when repeatedly running a script.  "Sharing Violation"
ain't us, it suggests something is sick with the system.

BTW the poster was not on the users list and I have to hope
he replies to me or joins, or we cannot help him...

As an aside, I have been playing with a little RML GUI internally
which holds the script in one window, an Acrobat OCX control in
another, and lets you edit-and-refresh; the Acrobat OCX does
not lock files and reloads happily.  But I need to find
some way to query and reset the zoom and scroll level and
current page, or it's only useful for getting the top
half of page 2 of a document ready :-)  If anyone could
find out how to do this, one could add a 'PDF preview' to
most of the Python IDE or GUI toolkits, maybe even to
Pythonwin.  I'm sure lots of other people work in the
'move it left a bit and try again' mode of document layout :-)

- Andy