[reportlab-users] re: PDF Generation performance

Larry Bates reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Wed, 24 Dec 2003 17:20:48 -0600

Shayan,

Wow that's a long time.  I have an application that generates
fairly complex 8 page documents (one for every school system
in the state).  The pages contain a mixture of paragraphs,
tables, multi-bar bargraphs, background .JPG images, etc.
The data comes from MS Access database via ODBC.  Background
form is put on the canvas using PageCatcher from external
.PDF file that was generated in Quark.  Example of last
years (still working on this years) Alabama Department
of Education Report Cards can be located at
http://www.reportlab.org/alabama.html.

I can generate a complete 8 page report in 1 second or about
480 pages per minute on my 3.06Ghz Pentium 4 workstation.
This time includes having ConfigParser read and parse
a 1500 line .INI file that contains specifications for each
object that is to be printed on the pages, the SQL query
that joins two tables to get all the data for a school,
time for PageCatcher to read background form, ReportLab
to generate all the objects, compression, and saving of
the output .PDF file to my local drive.  Frankly I'm
impressed with the performance.

Hope the information helps.

Larry Bates

Message: 1