[reportlab-users] any way to create pdf files with different dpi resolutions?

Andy Robinson reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Sun, 3 Aug 2003 14:05:28 +0100

> Hello,
>
> Is it possible to use reportlab to create PDF
> documents with higher resolution than 72 dpi? I notice
> there is a setting in units.py for inch = 72.0 - but I
> do not see a way to modify this value through the API.
>
> thanks,
>
> Ryan
This has nothing to do with the resolution.  PDF is a vector
file format and any graphics in it will be "infinitely
scalable".

The options people see in Acrobat Distiller about resolution
refer ONLY to how bitmap images are sampled in creating
PDFs - if you had a photograph in a magazine samples at 1440
pixels per inch, you wouldn't want the full resolution for
a downloadable version to read on screen.  If you are doing
charts, tables and other graphics, don't worry.

Changing the definition of an inch would definitely not
help :-)

- Andy