[reportlab-users] RE: Table sizing algorithms - comments welcome

Tue, 22 Apr 2003 09:17:07 +0100

.... as I now understand it we're distributing width equally to things
(currently all flowables) that are not quickly sizeable.

There are some nits with the current algorithm

1) We need to disambiguate for those things which are immediately fixed
in width eg an image with a known dimension. This could be done as
discussed earlier by adding an api to the Flowable class.

2) Some flowables are sizeable via their wrap method eg a table with all
known column widths. The current algorithm is breadth first ie it does
not attempt to discover actual widths of deeper elements.
An alternative would be available if we made the wrap apis more formal.
Should wrap return the correct (minimum) width when it fails?