[reportlab-users] Importing a gif-graphic in reportlab

Jerome Alet reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Wed, 2 Apr 2003 19:17:12 +0200

On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 05:13:49PM +0100, Robin Becker wrote:

> However, the conversion is carried out using the simplistic
> im.convert("RGB"). Any better ideas and I'll be glad to try and add a
> mechanism to get the conversion done properly.
>
> One idea might be some way to indicate a 'raw' PIL image which needs no
> conversion.

One idea maybe : from a lot of tests done by different people, which
I confirm based on my own tests, it seems that PIL is of lower
quality compared to ImageMagick, as far as file format conversions
are concerned, at least to/from jpeg.

Unfortunately Python's ImageMagick support lacked for a long time
(not maintained), but I seem to remember that a new project was
launched some time ago (or was it the same re-launched ?)

Maybe using ImageMagick instead of PIL when possible or when
better quality is needed would be a solution.

bye,

Jerome Alet