[reportlab-users] Widgets as Flowables...

Sat, 28 Sep 2002 00:13:41 +0100

In article <LKENLBBMDHMKBECHIAIAAEMCCLAA.andy@reportlab.com>, Andy
Robinson <andy@reportlab.com> writes
>> What then, probably, is misleading is the fact that the code for
>> all renderers mentions only drawings as the things they are able
>> to render, where in fact they also can render shapes and widgets.

this is by definition true. Drawings are renderable as their contents.
The render operation is via the draw operation. The real problem with
widgets and other sub drawings is that we cannot overload the draw
operation to do both flowable draw and graphics draw. Of course this id
just a namespace problem. Give everything a new name and all will be
well. I don't necessarily  agree that's the right thing to do though. If
we bring Line in as a drawable/flowable how do we connect with the built
in line operations?

A drawing is what we provide, Dinu wants a sub-drawing. Drawings are
objects. Widgets aren't. Discuss.