[reportlab-users] ReportLab and databases

Greg McCall reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 17:10:41 +1000

I note some comments on RML and its cost.
I would not even consider it. $3k US is $6k AUS which is too much.

Paying $6k for a package to get decent reporting options from say a
database like MySQL does not make much sense when I can buy for around
$1k AUS MS Office with Access (MS = yuk, I know but ??) which is
considerably less.
If need PDF, add say $500 for Adobe and you have it.

Lots of pros and cons with the comparison but when it comes down to
buying a solution that does DB and reporting, $3k US is not even in the
ball park.

(yes, I know it can do other things with RML but that's not what I want
it to do)

If people can not use it cheaply for the simple things, you have no
chance of getting it accepted for more wide spread use. I just continue
to look for more cost effective solutions.