[reportlab-users] Status update on Java support

Dinu Gherman reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Mon, 9 Sep 2002 10:59:45 +0200

--Apple-Mail-5--432305507

Dragan Andric:

> Java is to use Java implementation of python called Jython
> (www.jython.org). Currently we are in the testing phase and it seems
> that most of ReportLab toolkit features do work under Jython. However,
> things that need OS specific features, like os.chdir() will not work,
> because they're not supported by Java. This is especially true for the
> set of test suites.
> ReportLab toolkit has been tested under Sun's J2SDK 1.3.1. It is known
> that under J2SDK 1.4.0_01 test_pdfbase_ttfonts.py fails horribly with
> an outOfMemory exception, probably caused by a JVM bug. For
> information on how to install ReportLab toolkit to work with Jython,
> see the user guide.<<<

FYI, "This is especially true for the set of test suites." should
rather read "This is *only* true for the set of test suites." The
test suite just skips such tests containing os.chdir when running
under Jython, at least this is what I told it to do.

There should perhaps be a word about PIL as well.. And the User
Guide looks too Windows-centric here, with paths like C:\...

Dinu

--Apple-Mail-5--432305507

Dragan Andric:

<excerpt>>>>At the moment, the only way to work with ReportLab toolkit
using Java is to use Java implementation of python called Jython
Currently we are in the testing phase and it seems that most of
ReportLab toolkit features do work under Jython. However, things that
need OS specific features, like os.chdir() will not work, because
they're not supported by Java. This is especially true for the set of
test suites.

ReportLab toolkit has been tested under Sun's J2SDK 1.3.1. It is known
that under J2SDK 1.4.0_01 test_pdfbase_ttfonts.py fails horribly with
an outOfMemory exception, probably caused by a JVM bug. For
information on how to install ReportLab toolkit to work with Jython,
guide</color></underline>.<<<<<<

</excerpt>