[reportlab-users] Handling of too long entries in Table

Dinu Gherman reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 13:23:04 +0200

Andy Robinson:

>>> Oh, if you mean zweihundertdreiundachtzigtausendsechhundertundeins
>>> for 283601, then you're definitely right! ;-)
>
> This is almost the same problem as wrapping Asian characters.
> There are good and bad break points in that string. I wonder
> if we could unify these two by saying "here's a string,
> here's its language, call the right string-splitting function"
> one day.  And treat URLs as "just another language" ?

First, it's not zweihundertdreiundachtzigtausendsechhundertundeins
but             zweihundertdreiundachtzigtausendsechshundertundeins
Sorry for the typo and good luck searching! ;-)

Second, at first sight URLs could be treated like that as the only
allowed splitting points would be at slashes and some other characters
like dots, questionmarks and some other ones. But URLs also differ
from a normal language because their file paths very often contain
"normal language" words like in

   http://www.reportlab.com/docs/graphics_reference.pdf

where you might consider it ok to split between "graph" and "ics",
too. Hence you need to respect the URL language *plus* the "real"
language... And you'd need to detect which real language that is...

Dinu

--
Dinu C. Gherman
"It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have these three