[reportlab-users] Right-to-Left languages

Ury Marshak reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Mon, 14 Oct 2002 22:48:28 +0200

Hi all,

After downloading reportlab toolkit, and failing to write a right-to-left
text,
and making a google search I found that there is no support for RTL. The
advice given was to try AcrobatME. Unfortunately I don't have Acrobat ME,
so I went ahead and implemented RTL support myself :)

The current version is naive and incomplete, but seems to perform the
basic functions.

Current implementation is based on reportlab version 1.15. It uses 'fribidi'
library to perform unicode bidirectional algorithm, which I wrapped for
python access. Currently I tried to make as litle modifications as possible
to RL code, mostly factoring out some operations to allow overriding them.

Hope there is interest integrating it in the mainstream toolkit,
Ury