[reportlab-users] [ANN] PyCanvas with a new testsuite and "no" bug now.

Andy Robinson reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 10:07:46 +0100

> the attached tarball contains the latest incarnation of PyCanvas.
>
> PyCanvas is a Canvas class which can also output Python source code
> which generates the same PDF output.

This is really neat!  I will double check with my colleagues but
the package location seems reasonable.

There's only one more thing I can suggest:  the docstring in pycanvas.py
should explain what it would be used for.  Why would someone want to write
a Python script which generated a Python script to redraw itself?
(I have a pretty good idea, but it would probably be best in your own
words with an example or two!)
We can then put this text into the userguide with minimal effort.

This may also prod me to 'factor out' the drawing operations into
a base class, so that people wanting to write PostscriptCanvas or
SVGCanvas or whatever can do so more cleanly.  But not this week
sadly...

- Andy