[reportlab-users] Puzzling Error

Wed, 6 Nov 2002 10:09:47 +0000

In article <20021106093026.GD11456@mail.librelogiciel.com>, Jerome Alet
<alet@librelogiciel.com> writes
>that was the less intrusive way I thought of to make it work with
>all Python versions, but another solution is to put a Python version
>check in pycanvas.py and fail if not >= 2.2. This way we could
>delete these two "magic" lines of code from pdfmetric's getTypeFace
>and registerFont, as well as the __coerce__ and __str__ methods from
>pycanvas's PDFAction class, since the original pycanvas code works
>fine in 2.2 (AFAICT).
>
>It's not like if pycanvas was an indispensable submodule, IMHO
>limiting its access to 2.2 and superior is OK, unless of course you
>explicitely want it to work with older versions of Python.
.... I think it's fine that we have pycanvas for all versions. I just
don't like it when I can't figure out what the real problem is. I
thought it was the way in which the __str__ etc methods get called, but
can't be sure.

As for the unicode issue, it's not obvious why all the spellings of a
fontname should converge to one str form. There's no obvious reason why
I can't use a unicode filename or fontname etc prvided that the mapping
to font is preserved, but if/when it starts it will just increase the
complexity :(