[reportlab-users] Puzzling Error

Wed, 6 Nov 2002 08:56:57 +0000

In article <20021106083331.GA11456@mail.librelogiciel.com>, Jerome Alet
<alet@librelogiciel.com> writes
>On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 08:11:03AM -0000, Andy Robinson wrote:
>>
>> we're aiming for a release next week.
>
>Please could someone with CVS RW access do something about :
>
>http://two.pairlist.net/pipermail/reportlab-users/2002-October/000774.html
>
>before the next release.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Or else what is the procedure to get a RW access to CVS ?
>
>Jerome Alet
done, but as I explained this indicates some seriously strange
programming is going on. I tried to debug this to find out why the
__str__ etc wasn't happening and failed. So far as I'm aware the
intention of __str__ didn't change between 1.5.2 and 2.2. Something else
eg the method resolution order did, but I think not between 1.5.2 and
2.1 so I find it strange that these break in different ways for the 3
pythons.

Having a magic instance in place of a string object and relying on magic
to get it to work every where is bound to break sometime. I understand
the proxy concept, but I think maintenance will be a problem. The danger
will come when people start using unicode etc when the str calls won't
always be the right thing to do.

As for 1.5.2 there's some discussion on the distutils list about
removing support for it. I can't see how they can think of this while
Red Hat still uses it, but perhaps RH will move.