[reportlab-users] Distutils setup script - anyone good at them?

Andy Robinson reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Tue, 28 May 2002 09:43:01 +0100

We are aiming for a release this week with Dinu's SVG
support in graphics, and Marius' TrueType font support.
Exciting times!

One thing we would like to do, but have not had time for
to date, is a proper distutils setup script at the top level.
The catch is that we already made one in reportlab/lib which
just builds the accelerator shared library and nothing else.
It is VERY convenient for us to leave this untouched, so we
can re-run it in our local development environments without
putting a whole new reportlab on our path.

Is anyone able to contribute a setup.py for reportlab, which
(a) does the usual Python install
(b) does the right things for extensions i.e. if unable to
to build the C portion, does the Python install anyway?
(c) does not prevent us running the mini-one in reportlab/lib?

I'd like to at least start on distutils support, but the
worry for this week is time to (a) test it all, and (b)
make sure the docs correctly say what to do.

Best Regards,

Andy Robinson