[reportlab-users] pdf linking

Eric Johnson reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Fri, 3 May 2002 07:37:37 -0400

On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 07:50:16AM +0200, Jerome Alet wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Apr 2002 rmccain@gvpi.com wrote:
>
> > definately some awesome software. I am writing now because I was not able
> > to find any functionality for creating links that link to other pdf's. I
>
> use the canvas.Canvas().linkURL() method

This method only allows a link to a URI, which always tries to use open the link in
a web browser.

It is also possible to link to another local pdf which is viewed directly in the
Acrobat reader by using a Remote Go-To Action. This is basically similar to the
URI Action and some time ago I hacked up some code which implemented a linkGoToR
method to do this.

It is a bit limited in that it only goes to the first page of the other pdf and
opens it in Fit mode. That was all I needed at the time.

Would it be worth trying to generalise this a little to support named destinations
or just submitting a patch as is?

Obviously it needs a better name as well ... perhaps linkFile ?

Eric