[reportlab-users] Expat (Was: Help resolving ReportLab test errors)

Dinu Gherman reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 22:13:35 +0200

Robin Becker:

 > well I just checked on the freeBSD machine with latest CVS and
 > see three errors only that relate to SVG I think

As I recently found out in some sad conversation with the XML-SIG,
and as I told Andy, Python 2.x does not include sources for Expat,
which means standard Python XML support is pretty much useless
unless you have previously installed Expat yourself. On Windose
this is part of the Python 2.x binary distribution (which seems
having caused some confusion in my head about its general availa-
bility).

I've been told that XML-SIG gurus have been finally able to con-
vince the Python gurus to include expat sources from 2.3 on!

This is the kind of problem I would have been glad to see being
avoided, but it is there. Maybe the PBF can help prevent such
things in the future? I don't know...

Dinu