[reportlab-users] Re: ReportLab + Macintosh TTFs

Marius Gedminas reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Wed, 3 Jul 2002 11:02:54 +0200

On Wed, Jul 03, 2002 at 10:44:04AM +0200, Just van Rossum wrote:
> Aren't you supposed to copy anything you don't know about? Maybe not true when
> embedding TTF in PDF, I'm just guessing.

That could be dangerous if those tables contain references to glyph
numbers, which will have changed during subsetting.  And I suppose
things like digital signatures will definetely have changed.  I decided
to play it safe.

OTOH it might be a good idea to copy or transform more tables -- the
advanced typographical ones, for example.

> Btw: in general, the OS/2 table is only required on Windows. Don't know about
> when embedding in PDF.

According to OpenType spec[1], it is required in all fonts.

  [1] http://partners.adobe.com/asn/developer/opentype/main.html

Marius Gedminas
--
This is an object-oriented system.
If we change anything, the users object.