[reportlab-users] RE: setup scripts

Andy Robinson reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Sun, 22 Dec 2002 23:20:50 -0000

After some more work,   "python setup.py sdist" creates an
archive OK, and "python setup.py install" does a correct
install from it AFAICT - all test suite passed and all the
readmes and examples I can find.  On win32 anyway.

Testers take note:  please rename/remove your old
reportlab before testing the install, and look carefully
in the created one for things like
  reportlab/license.txt
  reportlab/test/pythonpowered.gif

I also begin to comprehend the utter weirdness of distutils:
 1. 'sdist' uses a neat manifest-builder manifest to just bundle
    up everything, ignoring any data file declarations in the
    setup script.

 2. 'install' uses the 'data' declarations in the setup script,
     ignoring any manifest

 3. bdist_wininst must do something else altogether as
    it still isn't picking up the data files....

Maintaining this by hand is going to suck.  At the very
minimum we will need to check in a manifest and have a
runtime test to verify all required files are actually
there in all the distros.

Victory never tasted so sour grumble grumble grumble.....

- Andy