[reportlab-users] pyRXP vs ONIX DTD

Andy Robinson reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Thu, 5 Dec 2002 10:32:53 -0000

> It's been some time since I last read XML specs, so I could be very
> wrong, but I seem to remember that XML is basically inseparable from
> Unicode.

There were 8-bit and 16-bit options when building pyRXP.
AFAIR it passed 100% of the unicode tet suite in 16 bit mode
and only passed the non-Unicode-related ones in 8 bit.
If someone wants to play around with 16 bit builds and
learn more about it, that's great.

Personally I still believe that Python has its own Unicode
library which should do conversions explicitly. Most Python
apps are not yet using Unicode strings.  But if someone can
suggest a compatibility route I would welcome it.

Thanks,

Andy