NACR Daily Meditation for Sunday, Mar 23, 2008

NACR Daily Meditation nacrmed at nacronline.com
Sun Mar 23 03:00:00 EDT 2008

NACR Daily Meditation for Sunday, Mar 23, 2008

But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what he already
has? But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently.Romans 8:24-25

Sometimes it feels like nothing is changing. We feel like we have lost
our way -- and all hope of finding it again. Ironically we often experience
this sense of being 'stuck' during periods that later seem most dynamic
in terms of change. Perhaps when change is rapid we are so disoriented that
we are unable to see it clearly. In times like this we may not be able to
see that anything is changing. It may be hard to believe that all the hard
work and effort are worth it. It is during these times we are most tempted
to give up.

It is a general truth that we want change to take place faster than it
does. We could more easily tolerate the pain of recovery, if only we could
be assured that it would be quick.

But if we insist that change happen so rapidly that we can see it every
day, then our capacity for hope will gradually diminish. If we insist that
our recovery always have the drama and immediacy of miracle, then we will
not build the deep-down kind of hope that we will need during the really
tough times in life. Hope that you can 'see', Paul says, is not really hope
at all. Real hope is what sustains us when we do not see change. Hope is
the conviction that God has not given up on us. As long as God is committed
to us, there is hope for change.

Sometimes I get stuck, Lord.
When that happens, I desperately want a miracle.
I want to change fast, very fast.
But that's not what I really need.
What I really need is you, Lord.
If you haven't given up,
then I'm not really stuck.
There is hope.
Renew my vision of you, Lord.
Help me to see again your hopefullness about me.
And your love for me.
And the joy you take in me.
Let this build again in me a capacity for hope.
Amen.

Copyright 1991 Dale and Juanita Ryan

ROOTED IN GOD'S LOVE (the book from which these meditations are taken, is back in print! To order call our office at 714-529-6227 or order online at

http://www.nacronline.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=1