NACR Daily Meditation for Thursday, Dec 25, 2008

NACR Daily Meditation nacrmed at nacronline.com
Thu Dec 25 10:09:42 EST 2008

NACR Daily Meditation for Thursday, Dec 25, 2008

For unto us a child is born, to us a son is given.
Isaiah 9:6

We have wrapped this day we call Christmas with ribbon and foil. We mark it off in red on our calendars and have high expectations for an extraordinary day. Sometimes in doing this we miss the day all together.

The day Jesus was born was not wrapped in ribbon or marked in red on anybody's calendar. It was a day like any other day. Perhaps the real wonder of this day is that God entered our world in such an unexpected way. We expect God to come as King and Conqueror. We expect him to come in a terrifying storm or a blazing fire. But God came to us as a baby, born to a young inexperienced woman. God seems to prefer surprising us in a still small voice and an infant son.

We do not have to dress in our best or prepare feasts or sing loud songs or give many gifts to have God come to us on Christmas day. These celebrations can be helpful traditions to mark this most remarkable event. But we do get lost sometimes in all these celebrations. Sometimes the noise and commotion and business of it all can blind us to the gifts God has for us.

Perhaps when the noise and glitter of this day are cleared away, we can let it be an ordinary day for a few minutes. We can kick off our shoes and take a deep breath and reflect in silence for a few minutes. And in that space of time we can have a small celebration of the heart. We can remember God's surprising, extraordinary gift to us, wrapped in such ordinary packaging. A child born. A son, given.

Lord, this is your day.
This Christmas day.
We have made of it a loud party
and a day of great expectations.
Sometimes I wonder why I can't find you
in the ribbon and the wrappings.
Let this be an ordinary day for a few minutes, Lord.
A day like any other day,
when you come to me in a child's smile,
a bird's song, a friend's greeting.
Remind me that you are a God of shocking surprises
wrapped in ordinary packaging.
Help me to remember that this day, like all the days before it
and all the days yet to come is your day
and that you come to me everyday.
I celebrate your coming
today
and yesterday
and tomorrow.
I love you. Amen.
Help us to continue developing resources of this kind by supporting the National Association for Christian Recovery. You can make a tax-deductible contribution online at

http://www.nacronline.com/nacr-store/donations

ROOTED IN GOD'S LOVE (the book from which these meditations are taken, is back in print! Order online at

http://www.nacronline.com/books