NACR Daily Meditation for Thursday, Dec 18, 2008

NACR Daily Meditation nacrmed at nacronline.com
Thu Dec 18 03:03:20 EST 2008

NACR Daily Meditation for Thursday, Dec 18, 2008

Wait for the Lord, be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.
Psalm 27:14

Why do we have to wait?!" my son asked over and over in the days before Christmas. "I hate waiting!" he exclaimed standing up straight, looking very commanding.

"What is the point of waiting?" he cross-examined, sounding more like a lawyer than a child.

At first, my reasons were pragmatic. I wasn't ready. The gifts were not all purchased or wrapped. But once the gifts were secured in their places under the tree, I had no acceptable answer to his pressing questions. "It isn't time yet, that is all. We have to wait until the right time."

His unabashed eagerness was endearing to me. I knew that I would someday miss this keen anticipation of Christmas that is a part of the delight of childhood. I was also aware that once again, this child was showing me a truth about myself.

I hate waiting too. I don't see the point of it. I want all the good things of life now. I want answers to all my questions now. Sometimes I am hurting and I want relief and healing now.

"What is the point of waiting?" we ask like eager, anxious children.

The answers are many. Waiting is necessary because it isn't the right time. But waiting can be growth producing. Our waiting sharpens our awareness. It deepens our longings. It peeks our excitement. It strengthens our hope. Waiting prepares us to receive with greater gratitude and joy the gift of this One who has promised to come into our lives.

Lord, I hate waiting.
It is difficult to see the point.
If you have good gifts to give
why make me wait one more minute?
Help me to wait, Lord.
Help me to grow strong
in my times of waiting for you.
Strong in my capacity for hope.
Strong in my willingness
to feel the depths of my longing for you.
Strong in my ability
to anticipate your goodness.
Amen

Help us to continue developing resources of this kind by supporting the National Association for Christian Recovery. You can make a tax-deductible contribution online at

http://www.nacronline.com/nacr-store/donations

ROOTED IN GOD'S LOVE (the book from which these meditations are taken, is back in print! Order online at

http://www.nacronline.com/books