NACR Daily Meditation for Thursday, Mar 22, 2007

NACR Daily Meditation nacrmed at nacronline.com
Thu Mar 22 03:00:02 EDT 2007

NACR Daily Meditation for Thursday, Mar 22, 2007

For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or
gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handled down to you
from your forefathers, but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without
blemish or defect.1 Peter 1:19

Change is not easy. It is a fierce battle. It can be difficult and discouraging.

Change often requires us to challenge the perspectives and rules which
have sustained our family system for generations. The 'empty way of life'
we are attempting to change was handed down from our parents and their parents
before them and their parents before them. In a family committed to the
'don't talk' rule, for example, saying even a simple sentence may require
overcoming distracting behaviors or other avoidance behaviors which have
been refined over hundreds of years!. Talking honestly to a parent or sibling
may be breaking family rules that have lasted for generations.

The Good News is that we have been redeemed from the empty way of life
handed down by our forefathers. Jesus redeemed us so that we can be free
from this kind of bondage. We can learn to talk honestly . We can learn
to experience our emotions. We can learn to trust genuinely. We can engage
in life. We can love and be loved.

We live in a battle between the empty way of life passed down to us and
the new life that has been provided for us. Living in solidarity
with our new life in Christ is a daily struggle, but as we practice this
way of life we break the vicious cycle of family dysfunction.

Lord, it isn't just me that I am trying to change.
I am up against generations of dysfunction.
An empty way of life has dominated my family for a long time.
It has been passed down to me.
No wonder it seems so hard to change.
I need your help, Lord.
Help me to find hope in your understanding of my struggle.
Help me to find hope in your gift of redemption.
Amen.

Copyright 1991 Dale and Juanita Ryan

ROOTED IN GOD'S LOVE (the book from which these meditations are taken, is back in print! To order call our office at 714-529-6227 or order online at

http://www.nacronline.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=1