NACR Daily Meditation for Monday, Jun 11, 2007

NACR Daily Meditation nacrmed at nacronline.com
Mon Jun 11 03:00:01 EDT 2007

NACR Daily Meditation for Monday, Jun 11, 2007

One who was there had been an invalid for thirty eight years. When Jesus
saw him lying there and learned that he had been in this condition a long
time he asked him, "Do you want to get well?"John 5:5-6

Do you want to get well?! What a shocking question. Isn't the answer obvious?
Why even ask?

One of the most confusing parts of the recovery process is the fact that
we have many layers of resistance to recovery. As we begin to see the changes
which recovery will demand, we begin to see how attached we have become
to our existing way of life. Sometimes we play games to hold on to the past. We have
a good friend who prayed early in recovery that God would deliver her from
alcoholism so that she could continue to drink! We are all like this - we
want healing but we fear the changes which healing will bring.

Sometimes the fear of recovery comes from the fact that we can't imagine
any way of being in the world other than what we have known. A life consumed
with despair, rage and self-loathing may seem pretty awful, but its the
only life we may have known. Any change may seem risky and uncertain.

God is not ignorant of our resistance to healing. God asks the difficult
question: "Do you want to get well?" It's not always as obvious
as it seems. The 12-Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous addresses this issue when
it talks about being "entirely ready" for God to change us. The
process of becoming "entirely ready" is at the heart of the struggle
of recovery. Our hearts and minds are being prepared to answer 'yes' to
God's offer of wholeness.

My answer to your question, Lord, is yes.
I am ambivalent at times.
I am uncertain and afraid at times.
But, I do want to get well.
The answer is yes.
Amen.

Copyright 1991 Dale and Juanita Ryan

ROOTED IN GOD'S LOVE (the book from which these meditations are taken, is back in print! To order call our office at 714-529-6227 or order online at

http://www.nacronline.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=1