NACR Daily Meditation for Tuesday, Sep 20, 2005

nacrmed at nacronline.com nacrmed at nacronline.com
Tue Sep 20 03:00:01 EDT 2005

NACR Daily Meditation for Tuesday, Sep 20, 2005

A voice is heard in Ramah, weeping and great mourning, Rachel weeping for
her children and refusing to be comforted, because they are no more.Matthew 2:18

There are times when there is no consolation for grief. There is no comfort.
In these times we feel that those who try to comfort us do not understand
the vastness of our pain. All we know, all we see, is the terrible loss
we have suffered. The world feels as if it should stop. Nothing matters
but our loss.

We weep and rage and long for the return of what we have lost.

This happened to many of the families living in Bethlehem at the time of
Jesus' birth. In hopes of killing the Messiah, Herod ordered that the oldest
male child under two years old in that town be put to death. It was into
this world of violence and terror that Jesus was born. The Christmas story
is not a fairy tale with happy endings, but a story about real life and
terrible loss.

There are times in our lives for weeping without comfort, for weeping with
anguish and rage. God has come before into times like this. God comes as
well into our times of anguish and rage. Because God comes there will eventually
be a time to be comforted. And a time to heal. And a time to go on.

But there is a time to weep. It cannot be rushed, or bypassed. There is
a time for weeping.

God, hold me when I weep,
when I refuse comfort,
when I cannot see beyond this pain.
Give me courage to grieve deeply, Lord.
Help me to tolerate the silence,
as I wait for you to speak.
Help me to survive the loneliness
as I await your coming.
Help me to grieve in ways
that draw me closer to you.
Amen.

Copyright 1991 Dale and Juanita Ryan

ROOTED IN GOD'S LOVE (the book from which these meditations are taken, is back in print! To order call our office at 714-529-6227 ext 111 or order online at

http://www.nacronline.com/dox/store/nacrbooks.shtml