NACR Daily Meditation for Sunday, Dec 18, 2005

nacrmed at nacronline.com nacrmed at nacronline.com
Sun Dec 18 03:00:01 EST 2005

NACR Daily Meditation for Sunday, Dec 18, 2005

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear
no evil, for you are with me. Psalm 23:4

Sometimes the recovery journey takes us through the valley of the shadow
of death. It is a frightening valley.

What a difference it makes in times like this to hear God's promise to be
with us. It's not that the fears vanish, they don't always. But we experience
them differently when we are not alone. When we are alone our fears can
become the focus of our thoughts and feelings - they can consume all of
our emotional resources. But when our journey is a shared one, fear does
not have the same power over us.

God has made a very specific promise to us when we are going through the
most difficult of life's struggles. God has promised to be with us. It is hard to say how God's presence will be made known. Our subjective experience
of God's presence may vary widely. Sometimes when we least expect it, we may
hear the still, small voice of God saying "I am here". Sometimes
God will use a friend, a sponsor, a counselor, or someone in a support group
to speak to us in ways that help us to remember that we are not alone. Sometimes
God will give us a peace that needs no words.

The important reality is that God is with us. God does not come and go in
the way our experience of God's presence comes and goes. God does not forsake
us. God walks with us. Even through deep valleys.

God, I am walking through a difficult valley right now.
Sometimes I think my heart will give way with fear.
Remind me of your presence.
Sometimes I know you are here.
Sometimes I'm sure you have gone.
Are you really here?
Please walk close beside me.
I need your protection.
I need your love.
Amen.

Copyright 1991 Dale and Juanita Ryan

ROOTED IN GOD'S LOVE (the book from which these meditations are taken, is back in print! To order call our office at 714-529-6227 ext 111 or order online at

http://www.nacronline.com/dox/store/nacrbooks.shtml