NACR Daily Meditation for Saturday, Mar 13, 2004

replytodailymed@nacronline.com replytodailymed@nacronline.com
13 Mar 2004 08:00:00 -0000

NACR Daily Meditation for Saturday, Mar 13, 2004

I will remove from them their heart of stone and give them a heart of
flesh. Ezekiel 11:19

God promises us a heart transplant. God promises to change us. Our stone
hearts will be removed and in their place will be put a heart of flesh.

A heart of stone is a dead heart. It is closed to honest, intimate relationships.
 A heart of stone is unmerciful with itself and with others. But we do
become attached to our hearts of stone. And we find ourselves fearing God's
promised transplant. Our stone hearts have one thing in their favor - they
allow us to feel strong and to appear strong to others. A stone heart is
a protected heart. It seems invulnerable. You cannot wound a heart of
stone.

God's offer of a heart transplant is a promise of life. A heart of flesh
is alive. Only a flesh heart can feel joy. Only a flesh heart can celebrate.
 Only a heart of flesh can give and receive love. But, the vulnerability
of a heart of flesh scares us. A flesh heart does not seem as well protected
as a heart of stone. It can feel joy, but it can also feel pain. You can
wound a heart of flesh.

God promises to change us. God will remove our hearts of stone and give
us hearts of flesh.

I like the safety of my stone heart, Lord.
But it is hard, cold, dead.
It is a heartless heart, bloodless, lifeless.
Remove it from me.
I want a heart of flesh, Lord.
I want life.
But I am afraid.
Give me the courage to say 'yes'
to your promise of life today.
Remove my heart of stone and
give me a heart of flesh.
Amen.

Copyright 1991 Dale and Juanita Ryan

ROOTED IN GOD'S LOVE (the book from which these meditations are taken, is back in print! To order call our office at 714-529-6227 ext 111 or order online at

http://www.nacronline.com/dox/store/nacrbooks.shtml