NACR Daily Meditation for Tuesday, Mar 2, 2004

replytodailymed@nacronline.com replytodailymed@nacronline.com
2 Mar 2004 08:00:00 -0000

NACR Daily Meditation for Tuesday, Mar 2, 2004

He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and
carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young.Isaiah 40:11

The Almighty God, Creator of heaven and earth, is pictured many times in
the Bible as a Shepherd God. This may not be shocking to modern readers
- most of us don't know much about sheep herding beyond the few sentimental
ideas we may have about rural life. But nothing was more ordinary in biblical
times that sheep herding. It was a dirty job. It was a low prestige job.
A shepherd lived with his sheep. Day and night he was with them, paying
attention to their needs, providing protection, and guiding them.

For the little ones in the flock, the most vulnerable ones, there was often
a need for individual care and attention. In times of special need or danger,
the shepherd would seek them out, lift them into his arms and carry them
close to his heart.

This is how God cares for us. God is a God of gentleness, of tender affection,
of protection, and of nurture. Our God is a Shepherd God. When we feel afraid
or vulnerable, God is aware of our need. We are gathered into God's arms. We are carried close to God's heart.

I am your lamb, Lord
The wolves are not far off.
Pick me up and hold me in your arms.
Carry me close to your heart.
Allow me to experience the mystery of being held by your loving arms.
Amen.

Copyright 1991 Dale and Juanita Ryan

ROOTED IN GOD'S LOVE (the book from which these meditations are taken, is back in print! To order call our office at 714-529-6227 ext 111 or order online at

http://www.nacronline.com/dox/store/nacrbooks.shtml