NACR Daily Meditation for Tuesday, Jan 6, 2004

replytodailymed@nacronline.com replytodailymed@nacronline.com
6 Jan 2004 08:00:01 -0000

NACR Daily Meditation for Tuesday, Jan 6, 2004

Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect,
but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of
me. Philippians 3:12

Some days the desire to be 'finished' with recovery is almost overwhelming.
It is such an attractive thought. To be 'done'. It sounds so good. Done.
Finally. Please, Lord, I want to be done today.

But, we have learned something about our capacity for self-deceit. We have
learned that we are not entirely in control of the process of recovery.
And, we have learned something about the dangers of complacency. It can
lead us back into denial, and toward relapse. There is no more dangerous
moment for us than the moment we become convinced that we are all better.

Recovery is 'pressing on'. We have not 'already obtained.' We have not 'already
been made perfect.' Tomorrow's recovery cannot be done in advance. And yesterday's
recovery, although it has changed and enriched us, is not the same thing
as today's recovery. Today's recovery can only be done today.

The process of recovery restructures our lives in some very fundamental
ways. We had learned silence, and in recovery we learn to speak the truth.
We had learned not to feel, and in recovery we learn to feel. We had learned
either not to need other people at all or to be excessively dependent on
other people, and in recovery we learn to need other people in appropriate
ways. These are significant changes. But, they are not irreversible changes.
We can go back to silence, emotional numbness and unhealthy relationships.
Recovery is necessarily therefore a new way of life. It is a daily pressing
on. It is the day-at-a-time practice of the disciplines of recovery that
makes it possible for us to continue to heal, grow and change.

Lord, you have brought me so far.
Thank you. I am grateful for all I have gained.
But, I want to press on.
I want to continue to grow.
I want to continue to learn.
Help me to press on.
Help me to do today's recovery today.
Help me to press on toward you.
Take hold of me with your love.
Amen.

Copyright 1991 Dale and Juanita Ryan

ROOTED IN GOD'S LOVE (the book from which these meditations are taken, is back in print! To order call our office at 714-529-6227 ext 111 or order online at

http://www.nacronline.com/dox/store/nacrbooks.shtml