NACR Daily Meditation for Wednesday, Feb 25, 2004

replytodailymed@nacronline.com replytodailymed@nacronline.com
25 Feb 2004 08:00:00 -0000

NACR Daily Meditation for Wednesday, Feb 25, 2004

A man with leprosy came and knelt before him and said, "Lord, if you
are willing, you can make me clean." Jesus reached out his hand and
touched the man. "I am willing," he said. "Be clean!"
Immediately he was cured of his leprosy.Matthew 8:2-3

There is a wonderful simplicity about this story - it summarizes a great
deal of life in a few words. A man recognizes his need, comes, kneels, asks,
is touched by Jesus and is cured. Many of us are living this story. We recognize
our need. We come. We kneel. We ask. We await God's touch. We experience
God's healing.

We would like our recovery to be just this simple. We want recognizing our
need to be simple. We want our 'coming' to be simple. And we want our 'kneeling'
to be simple. And we want our 'request' to be simple. And we want God's
touch and healing to be immediate, tangible, simple.

There are, unfortunately, a few complications. For people who have lived
in denial, 'recognizing our need', 'coming' and 'kneeling' are all major
changes in the way we normally function. We have grown so accustomed to
(and so attached to) our dysfunctions! So, recovery requires change. And
change is always difficult - even when we call the change a 'healing.'

What is most helpful in this text is Jesus' clarity about his desires for
us. Those of us who have been damaged by shame can expect to be uncertain
about God's desires for us. Jesus is clear that it is God's desire for us
to be healed. Our Healer wants to give us the gift of wholeness. When we
recognize our illness and we 'come' and 'kneel' and 'ask', then there is
no uncertainty in Jesus' response. He says "I am willing for you to
be free of this affliction. I want health and joy for you.

I'm not sure you want to heal me, Lord.
Are you willing?
Or are you eager to punish?
Are you the god-of-impossible-expectations?
Are you pleased when I suffer?
Or are you willing to heal me?
I need healing, Lord.
But, more than healing, I need you.
Help me today to experience your desire to heal.
Help me today to experience your eagerness to heal, Lord.
Prepare me to receive your gift of healing.
Heal me.
Amen

Copyright 1991 Dale and Juanita Ryan

ROOTED IN GOD'S LOVE (the book from which these meditations are taken, is back in print! To order call our office at 714-529-6227 ext 111 or order online at

http://www.nacronline.com/dox/store/nacrbooks.shtml