NACR Daily Meditation for Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004

replytodailymed@nacronline.com replytodailymed@nacronline.com
10 Aug 2004 07:00:01 -0000

NACR Daily Meditation for Tuesday, Aug 10, 2004

The people walking in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in
the land of the shadow of death a light has dawned. Isaiah 9:2

We know what it is like to walk in darkness. We know what it is like to
live in the shadow of death. But we also are beginning to experience what
it is like to see. The darkness of denial is giving way to the light of
honesty in our lives.

Of course, when you have lived in darkness as long as we have, the light
can be painfully bright. We see the truth about ourselves and our self destructive
behavior. We see the truth about our refusal of love. We see the truth of
our brokenness. We see old pain. We see current behaviors that damage ourselves
and others. The light dawns. It is not a pretty sight.

But God does not send light into our darkness to shame us. The exposure
may trigger our deep shame, but this is not God's purpose. God's light is
like the light of dawn. It is a light that signals that something new is
happening. A new beginning is possible. The light that God brings into our
dark world is a light of hope.

Recovery is God's light coming into our darkness. The light exposes. We
begin to see clearly the ways we have sinned and the ways other people have
sinned against us. And the light provides hope. In the light we see the
possibility for new beginnings.

Lord, your light hurts my eyes.
It is too bright.
I see too clearly now.
It is too painful for me.
Help me to believe that your light is not to bring shame
but to bring hope into my dark world.
Light of Heaven, embrace me with your warmth.
Heal me with your bright rays.
Give me life.
And hope.
Amen.

Copyright 1991 Dale and Juanita Ryan

ROOTED IN GOD'S LOVE (the book from which these meditations are taken, is back in print! To order call our office at 714-529-6227 ext 111 or order online at

http://www.nacronline.com/dox/store/nacrbooks.shtml