NACR Daily Meditation for Wednesday, Sep 24, 2003

replytodailymed@nacronline.com replytodailymed@nacronline.com
24 Sep 2003 07:00:06 -0000

NACR Daily Meditation for Wednesday, Sep 24, 2003

Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.Matthew 5:4

Jesus pronounced a blessing on people who are courageous enough to grieve.
Nothing could be more surprising than this. When we grieve, we often feel
like spiritual failures. But God sees things differently. From God's perspective,
mourning is valued. It is an occasion for blessing. It comes with the opportunity
for comfort.

To be comforted is to be held in the safety of arms you trust. To be comforted
is to weep and rage in the company of someone who loves us. The hard edges
of the pain are soothed. Strength and hope return in some measure. Healing
begins.

Grieving is a commitment to the hard work of facing reality and allowing
ourselves to feel the full range of emotions God has given us. It is painful
work. But it is work that is blessed by God.

Father of comfort,
you are my refuge and strength,
my help in times of trouble.
Were it not for your faithfulness,
I would hide from my pain.
I would choose not to see my losses.
I would not be able to face what has happened.
Man of sorrow, teach me to grieve.
Give me the courage to mourn
so that I can be comforted.
Amen.

Copyright 1991 Dale and Juanita Ryan

ROOTED IN GOD'S LOVE (the book from which these meditations are taken, is back in print! To order call our office at 714-529-6227 ext 111 or order online at

http://www.nacronline.com/dox/store/nacrbooks.shtml