NACR Daily Meditation for Sunday, Sep 21, 2003

replytodailymed@nacronline.com replytodailymed@nacronline.com
21 Sep 2003 07:00:04 -0000

NACR Daily Meditation for Sunday, Sep 21, 2003

He was despised and rejected by men, a man of sorrows, and familiar with
suffering.Isaiah 53:3

Many people have the impression that good Christians are happy, joyful,
victorious people. In this fantasy, good Christians are people whose problems
seem to vanish when they trust God and pray about it. Unaffected by the
pain of life, these relentlessly cheerful people read the Bible, sing praise
songs and feel no pain.

Yet Christians are at heart the followers of a man who was named 'man of
sorrows.' Jesus was not relentlessly cheerful. He did not practice a mood
altering, pain-numbing religion. He grieved. He wept. He was familiar with
suffering. Our God is a God who knows suffering. God grieves.

In those times when we shame ourselves for our sorrow, it can be an enormous
encouragement to remember that God is personally familiar with grief. If
God grieves, we can expect to do the same.

God, you surprise me again!
When I grieve, I think that if I could just cheer up,
you would be pleased.
But, you grieve also.
Man of Sorrows you are acquainted with sorrow.
Thank you for understanding.
Thank you for grieving.
Help me to experience your presence in my time of grief.
Amen.

Copyright 1991 Dale and Juanita Ryan

ROOTED IN GOD'S LOVE (the book from which these meditations are taken, is back in print! To order call our office at 714-529-6227 ext 111 or order online at

http://www.nacronline.com/dox/store/nacrbooks.htm