NACR Daily Meditation for Friday, Sep 19, 2003

replytodailymed@nacronline.com replytodailymed@nacronline.com
19 Sep 2003 07:00:01 -0000

NACR Daily Meditation for Friday, Sep 19, 2003

Out of the depths I cry to you, O Lord; O Lord, hear my voice. Let you ears
be attentive to my cry for mercy.Psalms 130:1-2

Grief is often experienced as being 'in the depths'. Sometimes it feels
like we have been swallowed up by grief. Our bodies ache. Our minds can't
focus. Our hearts feel like they will break.

Our cry for help during times of grief may seem desperate and feeble. We
want to believe that God hears us. We want to believe that God is attentive
to our pain. But we feel uncertain.

One of the most difficult experiences during seasons of grief is feeling
as if our crys for help fall on deaf ears. Like the psalmist, we find ourselves
pleading with God to pay attention. God, who may have seemed so present
and attentive when our pain was less intense, can seem strangely absent
just when we need God most. When we are in the most pain, we are often
least able to experience God's loving presence.

This subjective experience of God's inattentiveness can be terrifying. But
it can also be the starting point for growing a deeper and more meaningful
faith. A faith that has found the courage to honestly face these experiences
of God's absence will be a transformed faith. A faith that has survived
a season of grief will have experienced the realities of the spiritual life
at a much deeper level. From experiences of this kind we can learn to give
up simplistic spiritualities. We can learn to pray with more honesty and
integrity.

Can you see me, God?
Can you hear me?
Listen!
Pay attention!
I am calling to you for help.
I am overwhelmed with sorrow.
Have mercy on me.
Hear my cry for help.
Amen.

Copyright 1991 Dale and Juanita Ryan

ROOTED IN GOD'S LOVE (the book from which these meditations are taken, is back in print! To order call our office at 714-529-6227 ext 111 or order online at

http://www.nacronline.com/dox/store/dox/nacrbooks.htm