NACR Daily Meditation for Wednesday, Mar 5, 2003

replytodailymed@nacronline.com replytodailymed@nacronline.com
5 Mar 2003 08:00:00 -0000

NACR Daily Meditation for Wednesday, Mar 5, 2003

Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he
asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then though you are evil,
know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father
in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!

Matthew 7:9-11

Our children ask regularly for bread, milk, cereal and every other kind
of food in the house. We delight in their appetite and their growth and
development. It is pleasurable for us to provide the basic good things they
need to be nourished and sustained physically.

Jesus uses the simple joys of parenting to make a point about God. Just
like parents enjoy providing for their children, God is eager to provide
good things for us. God is a good parent. God delights in our growth, development
and nurture.

But God is not a codependent parent. God wants us to ask directly for the
things we need. The importance of asking comes from the fact that it requires
us to acknowledge our need. We have learned to deny our needs. We have learned
to act as if we can take care of ourselves. As a result, we have a difficult
time both asking God for good things and trusting God to respond.

Most of us begin with the struggle to identify our needs and to put them
into words. After this we struggle to acknowledge that these needs can't
be met with our own resources. And finally, we struggle to come to God and
to trust God to be a giver of good gifts.

Lord, I acknowledge to you today that I have many needs.
I cannot take care of these needs on my own.
I turn to you for help.
Giver of Good Gifts, hear my prayer.
I am in need of what only you can give.
Help me to trust you today.
Help me to rest in the promise that you desire to give good gifts.
Amen.

Copyright 1991 Dale and Juanita Ryan

ROOTED IN GOD'S LOVE (the book from which these meditations are taken, is back in print! To order call our office at 714-529-6227 ext 111 or order online at

http://www.nacronline.com/dox/store/dox/nacrbooks.htm

Meditations from previous days can be viewed at:

http://two.pairlist.net/pipermail/nacrmed/

Plan now to join us at STEPS 2003, a national conference for Christians in recovery jointly sponsored by the NACR and Overcomers Outreach. It will be held June 26-28, 2003 in Southern California. Plenary speakers are Steve Arterburn, David Stoop, Rich Buhler, Sandra Wilson, Mark Laaser and Ann Kiemel Anderson. Over 45 workshops. Support groups. Specialized gatherings. And lots of fellowship and support for your recovery. Details as they become available and online registration will be at:

 http://www.nacronline.com/dox/steps2003.htm