[DogParkList] MLDX v5 - distance

Don Agro dagro at dogparksoftware.com
Fri Feb 20 06:07:33 EST 2009

Hii David,

On 20-02-2009, at 4:19 AM, David Ferrington, M0XDF wrote:

> Don, I guess that's the distance to the Dx on the bar above the

> callsign, to the right of the bearing? It doesn't appear to display

> the correct distance all the time.

It is as accurate as your site location and the location of your lookup.

As with V4 the accuracy of the lookup is based on many things.

> If I look up a call like K5ZD it didn't change from 5km, but then I

> looked up G3NCN, who lives about 1 K away and it says 45km, then I

> look up G4KFK, who lives 300m away and it says 2km, then I looked up

> VP6DX-D and it didn't change from 2km

> so what is the distance based on?

It's impossible for me to tell you without knowing what the "Locator"
field said for that call.

There is extensive coverage of this in the manual:

<http://www.dogparksoftware.com/MacLoggerDX/Manual/Pages/controlwindow.html

"Here is how MacLoggerDX determines Map position for a call/prefix:
• MacLoggerDX resolves all call signs to the DXCC country level using
the data published in the ARRL Operating guide subject to special
issue call overrides in dxpeditions.dat "Locator: Country".
• bearings.dat resolves specific prefix based locations - "Locator:
Call".
• QRZ lookup may provide a zip code which can be resolved by zip.dat
which has the entire US 1999 census zip to post office latitude and
longitude data "Locator: US Zip".
• cities.dat has entries where if the city is known and found the
latitude and longitude can be resolved "Locator: City".
• If the call is in either your log, or your user call book, that
location data is found in a lookup "Locator: Log GS".
• APRS position reports will of course supersede all the above for
location data "Locator: APRS".
• If Internet Lookup is enabled and if there is a grid square or
Latitude and Longitude data provided on the Internet this will be used
"Locator: iNet GS", "Locator: iNet LL", this is usually the most
accurate since the operator has provided this data himself."

73 Don Agro VE3VRW

D o g P a r k S o f t w a r e L t d .

email: dagro at dogparksoftware.com
www: http://www.dogparksoftware.com