[DogParkList] MacLoggerDX 4.3.3 released

B. Scott Andersen bsandersen at mac.com
Sun Jan 20 23:04:11 EST 2008

Colleagues,

I believe there is a misconception here. MacLoggerDX
communicates with these radios over a serial port. It
issues commands or queries and gets responses. MLDX
doesn't have access to the meters; it asks the radio to give
it a number (like the power output or the S-unit reading)
and MLDX simply reports it. How could it do otherwise?

If the little server inside the radio that answers and
responds to the requests presented by MLDX, or
indeed any other client that sends bytes across that
serial port, gives the "correct" data then that "correct"
data is displayed. If the query for "tell me the reading
on the S-meter right now" yields an answer from the
radio that is "incorrect", then how in the world could
MLDX (or indeed any client) know?

Don Argo can double-check to ensure he is processing
the data returned from the radio correctly. He cannot
force the radio to provide better answers.

So, in this case and for this discussion, the "decibels"
reading is absolute: it is a number presented by the
radio. (Yes, yes, dB is a power ratio--but it is presented
as a scalar and that scalar is presented by the radio
to MLDX which in turn shows it to us.)

If the Omni VII, or indeed any radio, is presenting
numbers you believe are inaccurate please contact
the radio vendor. It doesn't hurt to ask Don to double
check MLDX is behaving correctly, but given the answers
presented are "correct" most of the time, the odds are
any problem extant in this system isn't within MLDX.
The more likely culprit is the radio presenting
"incorrect" data.

My 2-cents.

-- Scott (NE1RD)

PS I say "correct" and "incorrect" in quotes because
it may possibly be that the number sent to MLDX is
correct and the one shown on the radio is not. As the
saying goes, "Man who has one watch knows what
time it is; man who has two is never really sure."