[DogParkList] Serial port problems with cocoamodem

K. Rice rice at world.std.com
Sun Mar 26 11:12:31 EST 2006

I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this.  If so, please direct
me to the proper forum.

Hardware:  Mac Mini, 1GB, MLDX 4.2.2,  Keyspan dual USB/serial port,
RIGblaster plus, Elecraft K2 with KIO2 serial interface.

Software:  MLDX 4.2.2, Cocoamodem 2.0, CocoaPTT,

Wetware:  Unix hacker since 1983, but quite new to the Macintosh world.

I had MLDX and Cocoamodem running on the same Keyspan USB/serial port
using a split cable with two DB9s on a single port.  One of the DB9s
routed TXD/RXD/GND to the K2/KIO2, and the other routed DTR to the
RIGblaster plus.

This was working well for a while, but this weekend I fried the KIO2 with this
arrangement.  I disconnected the twin cable and tossed it in the junkbox.

MLDX and the K2/KIO2 are now out of the picture.

Today I built another cable that used Keyspan serial port #2 to route DTR to
the RIGblaster plus.  I installed CocoaPTT and put two Applescript files
in /Users/rice/bin.  That directory is world-readable and world-executable.

The two files are cocoamodem_TX and cocoamodem_RX (Suffix is .scpt).

cocoamodem_TX contains:

tell application "cocoaPTT"
        set keyState to 1
end tell

cocoamodem_RX is the same, except keyState is set to 0.

I set cocoaPTT preferences such that the expected things happen when
I execute these files from the Applescript window. That is, TX sets DTR and
the RIGblaster put the K2 into transmit, and RX unsets DTR and puts
the K2 into receive.  So it looks like the port, port driver,
RIGblaster, and CocoaPTT are all working perfectly.

I set Cocoamodem's Applescript PTT preferences to point to the two files
by selecting them using the provided "browse" buttons.  The basenames
(and only the basenames) of the files appeared in the "Key PTT" and
"Unkey PTT" fields on the Cocoamodem Applescrpt window.

Problem:  Cocoamodem can't find these files on startup.

So I replaced these filenames with full-qualifed Unix and Apple pathnames:

/Users/rice/bin/cocoamodem_TX.scpt & Users/rice/bin/cocoamodem_RX.scpt
Users:rice:bin:cocoamodem_TX.scpt & Users:rice:bin:cocoamodem_RX.scpt

Cocoamodem still can't find these files on startup.

What the heck am I doing wrong?  I have a feeling that I'm not understanding
some Mac-specific thing, here.

Again, I apologize if this is an inappropriate question for the MLDX
forum.

Thanks and 73,
Ken Rice
K3VV